Which Coffee has the Most Caffeine?

As a coffee lover, you would know that there are various types of coffee, each one prepared in a different way. While it is easy to compare the various types of coffee according to their taste, it is not obvious which coffee has the most caffeine.

It’s this article we will explore various types of coffee and how certain variables affect the caffeine amount in each type of coffee. But before we continue, if you don’t want to read until the end, here is the coffee with the most caffeine.

Biohazard Coffee is the coffee with the most caffeine with 470mg of caffeine in a 240ml serving. It is made from Robusta coffee beans with higher amounts of caffeine than Arabica coffee beans.

What is Caffeine?

If you’re new to the coffee world, firstly, welcome! And secondly, you might not have heard about caffeine. If this is the case, let us inform you quickly.

Caffeine is a stimulant found in coffee. It is considered to be the world’s most widely consumed psychoactive drug. But don’t let that scare you. It has various positive effects on the human body when consumed in moderation. Unfortunately, it can also lead to unwanted side-effects when consumed in large amounts.

It is, therefore, more than likely the reason why people are curious about the amount of caffeine in the various types of coffee.

Arabica vs Robusta Coffee Beans

coffee bean

There are 4 different coffee plant species, but the 2 most popular species are Arabica and Robusta. 70% of the world’s coffee is made from the beans of the Arabica plant, whereas the remaining 30% is made from the Robusta plant. While Arabica coffee is more popular, it is Robusta coffee which has more caffeine.

If you’re in the market for coffee beans with more caffeine, choose Robusta coffee beans. Opt for Arabica if high amounts of caffeine is a concern for you.

The Type of Roast

Whether or not the type of roast has an effect on the caffeine content remains a hot topic. Some say that darker roasts tend to have less caffeine than lighter roasts. Some say that this is not the case at all.

Regardless of which roast has the most caffeine, the difference in caffeine between light and dark roasted coffee is minimal, and in our humble opinion, the type of roast should not be the deciding factor in choosing a type of coffee based on its caffeine content.

The Brewing Process

coffee vs espresso

The brewing process plays a definite role in affecting the amount of caffeine in coffee. Normal brewed drip coffee has less caffeine per milliliter when compared to espresso.

But hold on, there are certain variables we need to take into consideration.

Remember that espresso is served in smaller volumes than normal coffee, and while espresso has more caffeine per milliliter than drip coffee, there is more caffeine in a 240ml cup of drip coffee.

To put it into perspective, there is 96mg of caffeine in a 240ml cup of drip coffee, and 60mg of caffeine in 30ml espresso.

Types of Coffee and their Caffeine Content

With all of that info out of the way, let’s explore a few types of coffee and their caffeine content.

Type Serving Size Caffeine per Serving
Decaf Drip Coffee 240ml 2mg
Espresso 30ml 60mg
Instant Coffee 240ml 62mg
Drip Coffee 240ml 96mg

While these figures are generally correct from a broad perspective, there are a few exceptions to the rule. There are a few coffee brands out there that produce coffee with abnormally high caffeine levels.

Let’s have a look at them.

Which Coffee has the Most Caffeine?

Not for the faint and heart, and certainly not for those who are sensitive to caffeine. These are the strongest coffee brands with high levels of caffeine.

Type Serving Size Caffeine per Serving
Biohazard Coffee 240ml 470mg
Death Wish 240ml 370mg
Black Insomnia 240ml 356mg
Killer Coffee 240ml 327mg

[elementor-template id=”721″]

Summary

With so many types of coffee, it is a daunting task to establish the varying amount of caffeine in each one. The type of coffee bean and brewing process need to be taken into consideration and ultimately determines the amount of caffeine in coffee. While espresso has more caffeine per milliliter than drip coffee, you get more caffeine by consuming a 240ml cup of drip coffee than a 30ml espresso.